Luckily, these are also quite healthy! I have been a carb monster lately and I need to fix that asap... so savor this recipe and look back on my past posts...but don't expect much in the way of baked-goods for a while. :)
Oh yeah, and this is a terrible picture. Sorry. ;)
Blueberry Coconut Macadamia Muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1 3/4 cups + 2 tbs spelt flour, divided
1/2 cup + 2 tbs packed brown sugar, divided
5 tbs chopped macadamia nuts, divided
2 tbs earth balance vegan butter
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 flax eggs (2 tbs flax meal + 6 tbs warm water)
2 tbs unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp coconut or vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen bluberries
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease 12-cup muffin pan.
2. Combine coconut, 2 tbs flour, 2 tbs brown sugar, 2 tbs macadamia nuts, and 2 tbs earth balance to create the streusel topping. Set aside.
3. Prepare flax eggs and combine almond milk with vinegar ("buttermilk") and set aside.
4. Whisk the remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Make well in the center for wet ingredients.
5. Combine buttermilk, flax meal, applesauce, and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Add wet to dry and mix just until incorporated.
6. Fold in blueberries. Divide batter between muffin cups and top with coconut streusel.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick entered into the center comes out clean. Let muffins cool for 10 minutes before devouring :)