Today, I have decided to share quite the treat. I will most likely be focusing on the vegan athlete's diet in the next couple weeks. I have decided to try and stick to Thrive to the best of my ability for the next two weeks in an attempt to enhance my training ability for a 5K I'll be doing. I know 3.1 miles isn't much to some of you...and I did run my first 10K in May...but I am out of shape people!! I have yet to lose any of the weight from this summer. No excuses, it's just time to clean up my act!
Once the 5K is over, I intend to alternate between Thrive and regular vegan foods and see where that takes me. My roomate is going to try to do the Whole 30 around that time so hopefully we can support each other by not tempting each other with unhealthy, over-indulgent fare. Has anyone tried the Whole 30 or Thrive diet? Anyone have any opinions? Some of you could probably guess my opinion of the Whole 30....but I'll keep it to myself ;)
So before we get to this divine recipe...want to know what else is going on in my life?! Okay, so you probably don't, but I'm going to type it out anyways for those of you that care. I recently moved back to my college town to gain some independence and hopefully have a little fun before I go back to school. I am applying to the master's programs at University of Wisconsin - La Crosse and Wake Forest University. I am currently working as a server in a senior living community and also as a tutor for Anatomy & Physiology and Nutrition. I may be a flat-broke college graduate working in something not even close to my field of study...but from where I stand, life is good :)
Alllright that's enough! Enjoy the recipe.
Ginger Pecan Kabocha Bread
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 55-60 min
1 cup whole grain spelt flour
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger (or 2 tbs chopped crystallized ginger)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup pureed kabocha (or butternut) squash (approx 1/3-1/2 kabocha; 1/4 butternut)
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
2.5 tbs ground flax
6 tbs warm water
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
6 tbs canola oil
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1. Remove squash's skin and seeds, cut into 1 inch chunks, and steam until fork-tender (approx 15 min).
2. Preheat the oven to 350F.
3. Let squash cool before pureeing (Use a food processor). Mix almond milk and lemon juice and set aside for 3 minutes.
4. Mix flax meal and water and set aside for 1 min.
5. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
6. Combine all wet ingredients in another bowl.
7. Add wet to dry and mix until just combined.
8. Fold in pecans. Divide batter between two greased, large loaf pans.
9. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
10. Let bread cool, and enjoy!