So yesterday I went on an insanely wonderful grocery-shopping + cooking-spree and reminisced on the good old days when I actually kept this blog somewhat current. Then today a peer mentioned this blog out of nowhere...obviously these are signs from the universe that I need to get back to it! Gotta represent my vegan pride! There are a multitude of reasons why I haven't updated this blog in a while:
1. I broke my camera USB cord and was too lazy to order a new one off Amazon.
2. I made some not so appealing eats.
3. I made some super delicious eats that I stuffed in my face too quickly to photograph.
4. I had a full time job + the responsibility of planning/preparing for grad school.
5. I moved to NORTH CAROLINA for grad school.
6. I live with a strict carnivore who also happens to be a male (along with another male roommate) and as a female and vegan I can't help but be wary of the atrocious amount of bacon grease/animal product residue contaminating my kitchen due to a general lack of concern for the thorough cleanliness of our dishes and counter space, etc.
7. Did I mention I'm in GRAD SCHOOL?!?!
Sooo yeah...that should about sum it up.
But today I am resolving to get back into food blogging. I still don't have a way to import my pictures (other than my phone) so bare with me. Mayyybe I'll muster up the energy to order a USB. And we'll see how this goes.
As I mentioned before, I went on a cooking spree yesterday. And as I usually do, I searched for a decent recipe based on a single ingredient. That ingredient happens to be pickled carrots. Let me rewind...sometimes I get weird pregnant lady cravings for pickles and Oreos...and right after I got my brand-spanking new Costco membership I bought a 2-jar pack of dill pickle spears...which also happened to contain some carrots and red bell pepper (I passed on the Oreos in case you were concerned that I might have picked up a 24000 pack or whatever). So my first jar is almost depleted...except for the veggies chillin' at the bottom. I don't like to waste stuff, so I decided to find a fitting recipe for the carrots!
I found this recipe first, and decided to go with it. So glad I did, because it is so simple and delicious! I don't have a picture of my veganized/simplified version, but I do have pictures of my dogs ;)
OKAY, here's the recipe...
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 10 min
Total: 15-20 minutes
Earth Balance buttery spread (optional)
8 oz tempeh, halved and cut into strips
1/2 English cucumber, sliced into 3-inch strips
1/4 cup liquid aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp coconut palm sugar (or regular)
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 cup picked carrots, finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 tbs chopped fresh mint
juice of 1 lime
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a shallow, wide-based bowl or pan. Soak tempeh strips in marinade for 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Chop all veggies and herbs for the relish and toss together in lime juice.
- Remove tempeh from marinade and tranfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Heat a shallow pan over medium-low heat and warm tortillas thoroughly. Spread with just a smidge (1/2 tsp) of Earth Balance if you're so inclined.
- Assemble wrap with tempeh strips, cucumber, and ~1/4 cup carrot mixture. Enjoy!