This recipe was one that a few of my followers were quite enthusiastic about. They most certainly have good taste because this is a tasty high nutrient, high fiber meal that takes less than 20 minutes to make!
Be sure to select a tortilla with at least 3-4 grams of fiber and 5-6 grams of protein if possible.
Annnd that's all I've got right now, just make it! It's delish and easy.
Barbecue Portobello Quesadillas
Total Prep/Cook Time: 20 minutes
BBQ sauce (makes approx 1/2 cup):
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp minced garlic
3 tbs tomato paste
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tbs molasses
2 tbs agave nectar
1/2 tbs dijon mustard
1/8 tsp dried basil
1/8 tsp sea salt
fresh ground black pepper
1/2-1 chipotle pepper in adobo, minced
1 tsp olive oil
3 portobellos, gills removed, roughly chopped
2 tbs finely diced onion
1/4 cup water
4-6 cups fresh spinach
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup daiya mozzarella cheese
2 whole wheat tortillas
1. Whisk all barbecue sauce ingredients and chipotle pepper together until thoroughly combined.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add portobellos. Cook mushrooms 2-3 minutes. Add onion and cook for 2 more minutes or until onions and portobellos are browned.
3. Toss cooked veggies in 6 tbs barbecue sauce and set aside. (NOTE: you will most likely have left over bbq sauce)
4. Add water and spinach to the pan and wilt the spinach completely. Drain if necessary and add to the sauce and portobello mixture.
5. Mix in cilantro and divide the mixture between the two tortillas. Make sure you only spread the mixture on half of the tortilla!
6. Spray the pan with cooking spray. Spread 1/4 cup daiya over the veggie mixture and fold the tortilla in half. Cook each side until the tortilla is browned and the cheese is melted.
Serve with guacamole.