8:15am 32oz water
9:15am Green Smoothie
Banana bread waffles [recipe below!!] w/ strawberries and pure maple syrup
2:30pm Large black plum, baby carrots, and pretzel crisps
6:00pm Potato and green bean salad
Apple Cinnamon Fig Bar
6:45pm Walked the pups
9:00pm Medjool-date "frappucino"
9:30am 32oz water
10:30am Green smoothie
1:15pm 6 medjool dates
1:45pm Strength training and stretching
3:30pm Vega Mocha Performance Protein + unsweetened almond milk
Mashed russet potato + nutritional yeast
6:00pm Tropical Kebabs with Cilantro Rice
Sliver of Daiya Key Lime Cheezecake
My family had breakfast burritos this morning stuffed with scrambled eggs, hash browns, and Field Roast sausage, plus cantaloupe on the side. For dinner, I made Tropical Kebabs and Rice from Chloe Coscarelli's cookbook, Chloe's Kitchen. I made seitan from scratch (in place of the mushrooms for the rest of my family), but it turned out flavorless and chewy. I had never made seitan before, so I'm not completely discouraged yet! The kebabs were coated in a delicious sweet and sour sauce. We all agreed this recipe would be worth making again with mushrooms in place of the seitan.
I opted for mushrooms for myself because seitan is basically pure wheat gluten, which makes me super bloated. I honestly prefer the taste and texture of marinated tofu if I'm craving something "meaty". I don't recommend seitan products unless you're getting them from an awesome vegan restaurant.
We also tried the Daiya Key Lime Cheesecake, which we all enjoyed. Daiya is nailing it!
Waffle recipe after the break!
Banana Bread Waffles
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 medium soft ripe bananas
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 TBS flax seed meal
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
scant 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Whisk dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl.
2. Using a blender to combine banana and almond milk until smooth.
3. Add flax and vinegar and pulse until frothy.
4. Create a well in the center of your dry ingredients and pour banana mixture into the bowl.
5. Add oil and vanilla and fold wet and dry together until just combined.
6. Set aside for 10 minutes. Preheat waffle iron on medium heat.
7. Turn waffle iron down to medium-low. Brush or spray a bit of oil onto the iron.
8. Add batter until iron is about 3/4 covered. Close and cook until the waffles are golden brown, 3 - 4 minutes. Repeat for the remaining batter and enjoy!
Nutrition facts: 489 calories, 25g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 9g protein, 354mg sodium, 57g carbohydrates, 9g fiber, 160mg calcium