Okay, okay...shameless plug over. This recipe is spectacular for sooo many reasons; but I'll keep it to three: it is high in protein, it is super quick and easy to make, and it is deeelicious!
I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered the ease with which this meal came together, the flexibility it allowed for personal preference, and the fact that it is packed with plant protein. As an added bonus it tastes like take-out! Amazing. I think this would also be a great "starter" recipe for people curious about trying a vegan diet.
The only thing I can suggest to enhance the nutritional value even more would be to use higher-fiber udon noodles (maybe made from brown rice...mine only had 2g per serving) and low-sodium soy sauce, which I didn't have on hand. Otherwise, the nutrition profile is perfectly balanced.
Love it when things come together like that :)
Sesame Lime Chick'n and Udon
Active/Total Cook Time: 15-20 min.
1/3 of an 8oz package [1 bundle] udon noodles (NOTE: try to find a high-fiber noodle)
1 Gardein Chick'n Filet
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/8-1/4 red bell pepper, sliced or diced
1/4-1/2 cup shredded savoy cabbage
any other veggies you desire!
1 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
Juice of 1/4 lime
2 tsp tamari or shoyu (soy sauce--use low sodium if possible!)
3/4 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp spicy mustard
dash of sriracha
1. Boil water and cook udon according to package directions.
2. While the water is heating, prep your vegetables and heat a pan with cooking spray over medium heat.
3. While udon in cooking, cook gardein 2 min each side until slightly browned.
4. Drain udon and rinse in cold water.
5. Use the same pan as you did for the chick'n to saute garlic and bell pepper in olive oil (approx 1/2 tsp) for about 2 minutes.
6. Add udon and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Drizzle with extra olive oil if the noodles start to stick.
7. While the udon cooks, combine all sauce ingredients.
8. Add sauce and cabbage. Cook for 2 minutes.
9. Transfer noodles to a bowl and top with Gardein and sesame seeds. Enjoy!